Did you know that University of Abuja is one of the best universities in Nigeria? Jonathan Swift helps us understand that, “vision is the art of seeing the invisible”.
As one of the top-notch tertiary institutions in Nigeria, the management of Uni Abuja has top-notch vision.
This prestigious university provides high quality, research-oriented education and lifelong learning opportunities.
Furthermore, the University of Abuja is an institution of higher learning that combines academic excellence with regards to unification of Nigeria.
No gender inequality, no tribalism of any sorts for any one aspiring to be a student of the great institution.
“A good education is another name for happiness”
Studying in Abuja University, you can be sure you’d be happy.
UniAbuja is located in Nigeria’s capital city, Federal Capital Territory Abuja and was established on 1st of January 1988, few years after the creation of Abuja.
The 30 year old institution started academics officially upon establishment in the year 1990 in the institution’s mini-campus Gwagwalada Abuja.
Pioneer students of the institution matriculated also that year 1990 and since then, UniAbuja paved way to National Universities Commission ranking list of top universities in Nigeria. Isn’t that impressive?
In terms of academics, UniAbuja runs a regular undergraduates degree, diploma, and postgraduate programmes.
For those who cannot acquire the aforementioned education and those interested in acquiring specialty in some skills and new knowledge, there is a centre for distance learning provided for such ones.
Anyone aspiring to be a student of UniAbuja, you are in the right place, as you would find answers to these important compulsory questions;
- What are the requirements to become a student of Uni Abuja?
- What is UniAbuja’s cut off mark?
- What is JAMB cut off score for a federal university such as Uni Abuja?
- What are the courses offered in the university?
- Are there private universities in Abuja?
- What is university of Abuja hostel like?
Lisa Gansky says “your brand is your public identity, what you’re trusted for. For your brand to endure, it has to be tested, redefined, managed, and expanded as markets evolve. Brands either learn or disappear”.
You will agree we all have a unique identity; if you are seeking admission into UniAbuja, or you are an alumni, its necessary to be aware of UniAbuja’s unique identity.
Name: University of Abuja
Founded: in the year 1988, 1st of January
Motto: “for unity and scholarship”
Colours: Green and White
University of Abuja Address
University of Abuja has a main-campus and a mini-campus. The main campus/permanent site is along Abuja Airport road, FCT Abuja.
While the mini-campus of University of Abuja is situated in Gwagwalada shortened as “Gwags”, thus the institution is in a suburb area.
The main campus can be said to be in a tranquil location unlike the mini-campus located in a suburb area of Abuja. I call “Gwags” mini-town, more bubbling happening there.
Aspiring fresher wishing to study in UniAbuja, reach the university via email@example.com for more information
For specific info, mail via firstname.lastname@example.org
Or P.M.B 117, Gwagwalada Abuja.
Phone Number: +234(9)8221010
Official University Portal
The official website of University of Abuja is: www.uniabuja.edu.ng
In our recent posts on top 51 universities in Nigeria, we talked about NUC which is National Universities Commission in charge of accrediting universities in Nigeria and trust me they’re doing a good job.
NUC accredited University of Abuja just as how it’s vested on the commission to accredit other universities in Nigeria.
Uni Abuja wouldn’t be on the list of top universities in Nigeria if NUC hadn’t accredited the school, jambites be rest assured NUC got you covered.
This institution is an accredited university in Nigeria and also as some courses accredited by NUC as well. You can visit the official website of the school for more info.
University Size and Profile
The following summarizes the size and profile of UniAbuja
Student Enrollment: not available
Number of academic staff: about 2,500 – 2,999
Ownership: Federal Government, therefore it’s a public Nigerian institution
Academic Calendar: In semesters
Accommodation: Provision of hostel is available for disabled and medical students. Also there are off-campus hostels usually privately owned and easily accessible to the school.
University of Abuja Courses
Here are updated accredited courses offered in Uni Abuja below;
- Insurance and Actuarial Science
- International Relations
- Public Administration
- Banking and Finance
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum and Gas Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- Business Management/ Management Science
- Government and Public Administration
- Sociology and Anthropology
- Vetinary medicine
- Computer Science
- Library And Information Science
- Agric Economics/Extension
- Animal Science
- Crop Science
- Soil science
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Medicine & Pharmacy
- Medicine & Surgery
- Banking & Finance
- Business Administration
- Public Administration
- Political science
- Business Management
- Performing Arts
- English language and literary studies
- Guidance & Counselling
- Islamic Studies
- Political Science & International Relations
- Education and Arabic
- Education and Biology
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and Economics
- Education and Geography
- Education and Integrated Science
- Education and Islamic Studies
- Education and Mathematics
- Education and Physics
- Education and Social studies
Faculties and Colleges
Below is a list of UniAbuja’s faculties and colleges in no particular order;
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law (this faculty is highly-ranked having won the prestigious university many awards both in national and international competitions)
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- College of Health Sciences
- School of Post Graduate Studies
- School of Remedial Studies
University Of Abuja Admission List & Requirements
For any applicant seeking admission into any accredited university in Nigeria, it’s important for you to have a good past academic records and possess some requirements.
It goes without saying that your choice of course of study matters and it must match the university’s criteria.
For an applicant seeking admission for a first degree programme into the University of Abuja, you have to possess the following minimum qualifications as a candidate:
- Candidate must possess a Senior Secondary School Certificate or equivalents with credits in 5 subjects in not more than two sittings for 100 level entry; Here’s how to check your WAEC result if you haven’t.
- You must have sat for the Joint Admission Matriculation Board Examination, or a Diploma, NCE with at least lower credit, which gives you the leverage to choose University of Abuja as a first choice or second choice;
- You must have passed the JAMB cut-off mark for University of Abuja.
- You must have passed University of Abuja post-utme examination, the cut-off mark depends on the area of study/department. For more info please visit uniabuja.edu.ng;
- A direct entry candidate to 200 level must possess two A’level passes in addition to credits in three other subjects at the SSCE or equivalents or a Diploma, NCE with at least Upper Credit.
- The five credits must include some core subjects depending on your choice of study. The likes of Mathematics for all science-based subjects, English compulsory, Physics, Chemistry, biology, or more in other cases.
Upon being successful as a candidate, shortlisted names are pasted on http://web.uniabuja.edu.ng/news-category/admissions/
The university of Abuja is not a for free o, you have to pay an affordable fee; trust me it’s affordable.
The tuition fees is usually released by the school management and authority, therefore all prospective students or candidates who meets the aforementioned requirements and are interested in studying in UniAbuja, should look up the school fees schedule before payment.
DOWNLOAD culled school fee schedule for 2018/2019 academic session for new students/freshers, this would be a guide for future academic sessions.
University of Abuja Postgraduate Studies
University of Abuja postgraduate studies is for candidates who want to study for qualifications such as postgraduate certificates and postgraduate diplomas.
These programmes are leverages for a degree in-view or as a qualification in an area of study too narrow to warrant a full degree course.
You can undertake postgraduate studies after you have completed an undergraduate degree or you have equivalent experience.
In University of Abuja, the management of the school of postgraduate studies officially released list of available programmes for preferred choice for aspiring candidates.
Just as the undergraduate candidates, there are requirements to be met too as a post graduate candidate.
- Candidate for Postgraduate studies into University of Abuja must have obtained at least (5) credits including English and Mathematics in not more than two sittings in WASC NECO GCE (Ordinary Level) or their equivalent.
- Candidate applying for the M.A., M.Ed., M. Eng., MVPH, MVPM and M.Sc. degrees in any field must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree with at least second class lower division in the relevant discipline.
- A Candidate for Ph.D. in any Programme of the University of Abuja must have obtained a minimum weighted average score of 60% (4 points) letter grade “B” average performance in the Master’s Degree
- A Candidate applying for the Ph.D. with a Master’s Degree from any other University, who in his/her Masters study had not previously taken the compulsory courses or their equivalent, similar to the courses in the University of Abuja shall, on admission be required to offer and pass such courses with a minimum of 60% (4 points) or a letter grade “B”
- Candidates seeking for admission into any of the postgraduate Diploma Programmes must possess a university degree with minimum grade of third class or HND with a minimum of Lower Credit.
- MBBS, BDS is required for MPH Community Medicine while health related degree is required for MPH Sexual and Reproductive Health
NOTE: PhD, candidates should attach a maximum of 500 words research proposal
For more info https://pgportal.uniabuja.edu.ng/index.php/new/PgInforc
University of Abuja Profile (Summary)
I agree with Elizabeth Warren who shared her sentiments on good education that “Good education is a foundation to a better future”.
University of Abuja is definitely one of the top universities in Nigeria, as most of the graduates of the school are in reputable places in the society today.
I hope you found this informative, please feel free to drop your comments in the comment box below.