Did you know that University of Ibadan is the mother of all universities in Nigeria, simply because it is the first university in Nigeria?
Well, it began as a small institution with just three departments in Science, Medicine and the Arts but now, university of Ibadan quickly expanded to become one of the country’s most prestigious university.
The school has over the years been a veritable training ground for thousands of professionals across the country. Based on the ranking of the NUC, it is one of the top 10 federal universities in Nigeria.
University of Ibadan – Overview
- Founded: 1948
- Location: Ibadan, Oyo State, South West Nigeria
- Ownership: Federal Government
- Academic Calendar: In semesters
- Faculty: 16 Academic Faculties
- Motto: Recte sapere fons – “For knowledge and sound judgement.”
- University official website: www.ui.edu.ng
When a school is accredited, it means that such institution meets certain requirements and it must be accredited by a reputable agency e.g. National Universities Commission (NUC) and other relevant professional bodies.
University of Ibadan is officially accredited by the National Universities Commission, and offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees.
Degree programs include pre-bachelor degrees, (i.e certificate diplomas, associate and foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, and doctorate degrees in several areas of study
Faculties at the University of Ibadan
UI boasts of over thirteen faculties and relevant courses in various fields of studies. They include:
Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry
- Agriculture Economics
- Agricultural Extension
- Rural Development and Animal Science
- Forest Resources Management
- Teaching and Research Farm
Faculty of Arts
- Religion Studies
- Theatre arts
- Arabic and Islamic studies
Faculty of Education
- Adult Education
- Guidance and Counselling
- Early Childhood and Educational Foundation
- Social work
- Educational Management
Faculty of Science
- Archaeology and Anthropology
- Computer Science
Faculty of Social Science
- Political Science
Faculty of Technology
- Agricultural and Environmental Engineering
- Civil, Petroleum, Mechanical and Chemical Engineering
- Food Technology
- Industrial and Production Engineering
- Wood product Engineering
- Technical Support Unit
Other Faculties Include:
- Faculty of Renewable Natural Resources
- Faculties at the College of Medicine Include:
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Public Health
- Faculty of Basic Medical Science
- Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine”
- Faculty of Science
University of Ibadan Admission List and Requirements
- For a student to be admitted into the University of Ibadan, he/she must have chosen the school during JAMB registration. Also, your JAMB cut off mark should be up to 200points and above for you to stand a greater chance of gaining admission into University of Ibadan. The admission portal is open for undergraduate’s studies, Postgraduate studies, and Distance Learning Centre.
- Candidates must meet or surpass the University of Ibadan cut off mark in order to be eligible for Post UTME examination or internal screening
- The candidate must be over 16 years of age in the year of admission
- Candidates must possess at least 5 credit passes in relevant subjects which must include English Language and mathematics at GCE O’ Level, WASCE,SSCE, NECO or approved equivalents at not more than 2 sittings. Here’s how to check your WAEC result if you haven’t.
University of Ibadan Post Graduate Studies
- Candidates apply for PGD at the university must be a graduate of the University of Ibadan or any other university recognized by the senate of institution. Also, admission shall be given by the school of postgraduate studies on the recommendation of the appropriate postgraduate committee.
- Candidates without any previous higher degrees in any of the relevant programmes listed below shall be admitted only to either the Degree of Master or Professional Degree of Masters
- Candidates with recognized “Research Higher” Degree in the relevant disciplines may also be admitted to the M.Phil or Ph.D degree programmes, based on the recommendation of the appropriate Faculty PG Committee.
University of Ibadan Postgraduate Courses
If you are interested in postgraduate courses, here are list of courses which you can choose: Postgraduate Education Courses: Adult Education, Guidance and Counselling,
Library Archival and Information Studies, Educational Management, Postgraduate Courses in Dentistry (it contain Child Oral Health, Oral &Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Pathology / Oral medicine, Periodontology and Community Dentistry, Restorative Dentistry);
Programmes in faculty of Technology ( it includes Agricultural and Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Food Technology, Industrial Training Coordinating Centre, Industrial, and Production Engineering).
University of Ibadan School Fees
The tuition fees is usually released by the school management and authority, therefore all prospective students or candidates who meets the necessary requirements and are interested in studying in UI should check their school fees schedule before payment on the school site www.ui.edu.ng
Interestingly, Uni Ibadan school fees is cheap and even cheaper than that of the top cheapest privately owned universities in Nigeria.
Facilities at the University of Ibadan
Facilities at the University of Ibadan include lecture halls, hall of residence, academic and staff units, library. University of Ibadan is also home to the following:
- Radio Station, DIAMOND 101.1 FM
- Botanical Garden
- Zoological Garden
- University of Ibadan Press
- UI Servicom
- Works and maintenance Unit
- The Bookshop
- The Sports Council
- The Computing Centre
Interesting Facts About University of Ibadan
- Did you know that university of Ibadan is the only university founded before Nigeria became independent in 1960?
- Did you know that university of Ibadan started with only three faculties which are Arts, Science, and Medicine?
- Did you know that, the Rt. Hon. Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, who is the first Prime minister of independent Nigeria, became the first Chancellor of university of Ibadan?
- Did you know that these notable Nigerians attended University of Ibadan?
- Chinua Achebe, author of Things Fall Apart
- Emeka Anyaoku, former Common wealth Secretary-General
- Michael Omolewa, former President of UNESCO General Conference and Ambassador of Nigeria to UNESCO
- Kayode Fayemi, Governor of Ekiti State
- J. P. Clark, Nigerian poet and playwright
- Wole Soyinka, winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize in Literature
- Grace Alele-Williams, first Nigerian woman to become the head (vice-chancellor) of a Nigerian university, the University of Benin
- William Kumuyi, founder and general superintendent of Deeper Christian Life Ministry
- Ken Saro-Wiwa, Nigerian writer, television producer and environmental activist
- Farida Mzamber Waziri, Former Executive Chairperson of the Nigerian Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
In University of Ibadan, there is what we call tsunami and erosion. When you couldn’t meet the requirements for you to get into 200 level, it is either you are tsunamised or erosion carries you.
Tsunami is when you are sent out of the institution as a result of not having at least1.0 in your CPGA.
Erosion is when you are being transferred from the faculty you came in with, as a result of not meeting up with the required goals.
University of Ibadan Anthem
Unibadan, fountain head
Of true learning, deep and sound
Soothing spring for all who thirst
Bounds of knowledge to advance
Pledge to serve our cherished goals
That our nation may with pride
Help to build a world that is truly free
Unibadan, first and best
Raise true minds for a noble cause:
Social justice, equal chances
Greatness won with honest toil
Guide our people this to know:
Wisdom’s best to serve turned
Help enshrine the right to learn
For a mind that knows is a mind that’s free
What did you think, have you compared the anthem of Uni Ibadan to that of the Federal University of Technology Akure? Which is more melodious? Use the comment box
University of Ibadan (Summary)
University of Ibadan is definitely one of the best institutions in the country, as most of the graduates of the school are in reputable places in the society today. If you have the passion and desire to study in University of Ibadan, I believed this article is for you.
I hope you found this informative, please feel free to like, share and drop your comments in the comment box below.