How can I ever forget my Alma mater Obafemi Awolowo University? Yes o….Oba Awon University (king of all universities)?
OAU, the University with the most beautiful campus in Africa. A citadel of learning, where people don’t care about how expensive you are, but what you’ve got upstairs.
I well know that if you read this article to the end, and you’ve chosen or already in a university of your choice, believe me, you might not forgive me.
Great Ife! I hail you 1 million times. O ya, let’s start to roll it!
Obafemi Awolowo University – Great Ife Overview
Obafemi Awolowo University formerly known as University of Ife, was founded in 1962 and the name was changed on 12th of May 1987.
This University is situated on 2,020 hectares (5,000 acres) of land. Obafemi Awolowo University is known as the most beautiful campus.
Yes it is the most beautiful campus due to the magnificent structures and architectural designs. Everything is just well arranged and organized.
Banks have their place on campus, market has its place, academics area and religious ground nko? In fact hall of residence is removed from academics.
Obafemi Awolowo University is a community on its own, I swear you can stay inside the campus for a year without moving out, and you will get almost everything you need.
Name: Obafemi Awolowo University
Motto: For learning and culture
Colours: Midnight blue and gold
University location: Ile Ife, Osun, Nigeria
University official website: www.oauife.edu.ng
Obafemi Awolowo University,
P.M.B. 13, Ile-Ife, Osun, 220282, Nigeria.
Email: [email protected]
Website screen shot:
When a school is accredited it means that such institution meets certain requirements and it must be accredited by a reputable agency e.g. National Universities Commission (NUC) and other relevant professional bodies.
Obafemi Awolowo University is officially accredited by the National Universities Commission, and offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees.
Degree programs include pre-bachelor degrees, (i.e certificate diplomas, associate and foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, and doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
University Size And Profile
Obafemi Awolowo University is owned by the federal government, and as the university expands in academics discipline, infrastructures, and so on, so also is increase in population.
The student population has risen from 244 in 1962 to over 30,000 students and over 12,000 academic staff in the academic session.
Obafemi Awolowo University admission is for both males and females. OAU admits students of any race, color, religion, sex e.tc. It is no doubt one of the top Federal Universities in Nigeria.
Well….. I think before, OAU is the university with the slowest calendar due to strike but reverse is the case as they run two academic calendar which is first and second semester. It is faster than before.
Great Ife! Great Ife!
Africa’s most beautiful campus.
Conscious, vigilant, progressive
Aluta against all oppression
Forward ever, backward never
For learning and culture, sports and struggle
Great Ife! I love you
There’s only one Great Ife in the universe
Another Great Ife is a counterfeit
Great! Great! Great! Great! Great!
Accommodation In Halls Of Residence
First and final year student are given opportunity in the allocation of bed space. Other spaces if available will be allocated on first come first serve basis.
Obafemi Awolowo University is really changing positively. Recently about 72.2% of OAU students are forced to reside off campus, so OAU hall of residence is not as choked up as before like sardine.
As of now, only 7,217 bed spaces are available in the school which is just for 27.8% of the school’s undergraduate population, which means 18,928 out of over 30,000 students now stay off campus.
OAU Undergraduate Students
Male undergraduate students in all departments will be distributed in the four halls for men i.e. Angola, Fajuyi, Awo, and ETF.
Women undergraduate students will be accommodated in Mozambique, Moremi, Alumni and Akintola hall. Muritala Muhammed Hall is exclusively for post graduates students.
Also Read: Which are the top 20 private universities in Nigeria right now?
OAU Admission Requirements
Obafemi Awolowo University has elective admission policy based on entrance examinations and grades. OAU offers admission to 100 level and 200 level (Direct entry or diploma)
Obafemi Awolowo University acceptance fees is 20,000 and the school fees is less than 40,000 for returning students depending on the faculty.
Requirements for admission into Oau are grouped into general admission requirements, and faculty or departmental course requirement.
For Admission into 100 Level
A candidate must:
- Choose OAU as the first choice of institution.
- You must have credit passes in at least five subjects in SSCE/GCE or equivalents, in not more than two sittings.
- A minimum of 200 is required in UTME cut off mark for those seeking admission into this prestigious university.
- Candidates must also participate in the post utme screening exercise conducted by the institution.
For Admission into 200 level (Direct Entry)
- Candidates must obtain five credit passes at SSCE (or equivalent) in relevant subjects in not more than two sittings and must possess NCE or OND with credit passes.
OAU also runs pre-degree program which normally runs for two contact periods within nine months and eligible candidates must possess minimum of 5 credits in 5 subjects at a maximum of two sittings including English language (for all courses) Mathematics (science and social sciences) and literature (English and Law).
Prospective candidate are advised to visit undergraduate link on the university website at www.oauife.edu.ng to get more information about entry requirement.
General Admission Requirements For Prospective Postgraduates
The postgraduate programme in available in OAU are post graduate Diploma and certificate, Master’s Degree (MBA, MPA, MIR, MM Psych, LL.M e.t.c.) Masters with Research Thesis (M.Sc., M.A, M.Phil) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
Requirement For Each Degree Type
- Post graduate Diploma Programmes
Must be a graduate of the Obafemi Awolowo University with at least 3rd class degree, and a graduate of any other approved institution with a minimum of 2nd class (lower division)
2. Master Degree Programmes
Master degree programme possess not lower than second class (lower division) from Obafemi Awolowo University or any other approved university
3. Master of Philosophy Degree programmes
Possess first class or very strong second class (upper division) with CGPA of 4.0 and above
4. Doctor of Philosophy Degree programmes
An applicant must be a graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University or any other approved university and must possess a master degree with research thesis.
All Faculties & OAU Courses and Their Requirements
The University started with five faculties; Agriculture, Arts, Economics, social studies (now social sciences), law and science.
Other faculties were added to it which includes Education, Pharmacy, Administration, and Faculty of Environmental Design and management.
The faculty of Health sciences is now a college which is made up of three faculties namely Basic Medical sciences, Clinical sciences and Dentistry.
The university boasts of having 13 faculties and over 70 departments. Below is the list of all faculties in OAU
- Basic Medical sciences
- Clinical sciences
- Environmental Design and management
- Social sciences
Obafemi Awolowo University Ranking
OAU is among the top 3 universities in Nigeria and provides academic and non-academic facilities such as library, sporting facilities, laboratories, lecture rooms.
Obafemi Awolowo University ranks no 3 in Nigeria and 2,230th in the world.
So, which is the best university in Nigeria? Check our latest post on the rankings of the top 51 best Nigerian Universities and their location and you’ll see the Uni that ranks first.
Here are some buildings that are mouthwatering inside the campus
- 5,000 capacity amphi theatre
- Motion ground
- Spider house
- Senate building and some other faculties’ buildings.
Just pay a visit to OAU then you will know that Obafemi Awolowo University is a tourist center in terms of the gigantic structures.
OAU Student Campus Life Fun Facts
- Awo guys are the craziest and funniest guys in Obafemi Awolowo University. There is never a dull moment in Awo hall.
- How about the maximum shishi; take anything that is not yours then you will understand the meaning of maximum shishi because you will be beaten to pulp.
- I could remember vividly a day I went to Awo with my friend, the guys blew whistle to draw the attention of other guys and they started shouting ‘Won ti de o’ (they are here).
Then, they surrounded me singing brother, sisters wa ooo meaning (brother, sisters are available). I don’t even know if I should cry or I should smile.
- Imagine a mother that enters Awo hall to pay a visit to his son, and the Aworite started singing “our mummy is a fresher iya iya oo, lolz
- If any Nigerian celebrity or musician enter OAU, Chai, hmnn hmnn dey never born you well make you know dobale (prostrate) before performing.
- You are cooking spagewa (combination of spaghetti and beans) and someone from the 2nd room comes to tell you that she doesn’t like to eat too much salt or cook for two.
- Have you been to the exam hall, and you don’t know what to write? Immediately you start calculating your GP.
- In fact, bats dey drag population for OAU no be small thing. Imagine when you’re rushing to receive early morning lecture and bats shits on your white ironed shirt. You will be like I don die.
- This one weak me o. Imagine when you see a list going round, you don’t even know the purpose of the list then you started struggling to write your name and your friend’s name.
OAU is proud of an impressive of alumni body both home and abroad e.g Femi Otedola, Femi Falana, Lai Mohammed, Abike Dabiri, Oluremi Tinubu and many more.
OAU Slangs and Meaning
The following are common slangs of OAU students
- Dobale (prostrate – norms an artiste must fulfill before performing
- Your father – act of teasing some one
- Ogba Femi (Femi’s compound) – OAU Campus
- Aiye o po – time Na money so make good use of your time
- Anglomoz – Area between Angola hall and Mozambique hall
- Risky – (fried egg and bread)
- Mr Moz – A male visitor that visits the female hostel at the wrong time
- Ife igbeyin – (end times of a semester in OAU, most especially exam period when you don’t have enough provision and money again)
- Ose igberaga – early week of resumption when you are fully loaded
- Igi Iwe eso odo- someone who reads always, but always fails
- Maximum shishi- punishment for offenders especially thieves
- Spagewa- mixture of spaghetti and beans
- Floor O – School’s detention room
- Jacking – act of reading
- Tan gboro – commuter bus
Obafemi Awolowo University Profile (Summary)
If you have the passion and desire to study in Obafemi Awolowo University, I believe this article is for you.
OAU is a lovely institution with the most beautiful campus, and offers best education in Nigeria.
If you attend this university, you will be proud any day, anywhere, and anytime because you will have the sense of fulfillment and you will have the confidence to stand before anybody. Great Ife I can never forget you.
Did you find this post informative and engaging? It took some time to put this together. So, I’d really appreciate it if you consider giving this article a like and share.
Also, I await your arrival in the comment box below.