Betting on sports is a popular pastime across the world and has been for hundreds of years.
There are mentions of gambling on the outcome of events at the early Olympic Games and beyond, including Ancient China, where games of chance attracted wagers.
Today, bettors love to gamble on their favorite sports and casino games and can do so from the comfort of their own home using a desktop computer.
Online gambling is legal in many countries across the world, from Nigeria to the United Kingdom. If you visit Australia, you can place bets on sports like rugby and cricket.
Betting is now permitted in a growing number of states across America, and Canada online betting is on the rise, too, following the relaxation of rules there.
What You Need to Know
We are a planet of sports lovers, and the desire to place wagers on our favorite teams and players is as strong today as it has ever been in the past.
Sports and casino gambling is accessible to millions of more players every year due to changes in the law and improvements in technology.
There’s now no need to visit a casino or land-based sportsbook to place gambles on football, horse racing, and boxing.
It can all be done using a desktop computer or app downloaded to your smartphone. Bet from anywhere in your region at the click of a button. It’s fast, secure and reliable.
Despite the growing number of sports gamblers, there are still many who would like to place bets but aren’t sure how it works, where to start, and any associated risks. In this article, we aim to help fill in the blanks.
Below you’ll find a list of positives and negatives regarding online betting.
This page aims to give you all the information you need on the industry to ensure you are in a solid position to make a call on whether online betting is suited to you and how you can sign up.
Online Betting: Positives
- Online betting is secure. You can pay for your bets using a debit card, e-wallet or a cash card that can be topped up in many stores around the country. Simply purchase an online voucher in cash, visit your online betting account then enter the voucher code to transfer the funds. You can then place bets on upcoming matches. When you have landed a winning bet, you can withdraw your profits just as easily.
- The leading betting apps give new customers a welcome bonus free bet when they create an account and place their first bet on sports or casino. It takes just a few minutes to create an account then you can place bets using your computer or smartphone. Welcome bonuses come in many different forms, including free bets, enhanced odds, extra places each way, cashback and profit boosts.
- All popular sports are covered and available to bet on, including horse racing, football, greyhounds, tennis, boxing, golf and more. Bet on the outright winners of the most important competitions or upcoming games. Each football match from the English Premier League has more than 100 pre-match markets attached, with most of these available in-play.
- Betting isn’t available in every country, and there are still many restricted nations. You must check the legal status of online gambling in your region or an area you plan to visit before attempting to place bets. You should never gamble in a region where betting is prohibited or look to expose any loopholes in the rules. The punishments are severe in some countries.
- Betting is fast, easy, and secure, and you are always just a click away from your next bet on a sports fixture shown on television. That’s great, but it can also lead to problems with overspending on gambling or betting more than you wish. When placing online bets, think, would you make the same wager if you had to leave your home and visit the nearest land-based betting office? Don’t bet simply because you can, and it’s easy. Limit your wagers to those you are confident will win and selections you have researched in full. Set a staking plan and stick to it hard.