German Dish: Knödel Wurst (Knackwurst in Dumpling Dough). Knackwurst is a type of German sausage made from ground pork, beef, or a combination of the two. It is seasoned with various spices such as garlic, nutmeg, and white pepper, giving it a distinctive flavor. Knackwurst is typically smoked and then boiled or grilled before being served.
What is Knödel Wurst (Knackwurst in Dumpling Dough)
Knödel Wurst, also known as Knackwurst in Dumpling Dough, is a traditional German dish that combines two popular elements of German cuisine: Knackwurst sausages and dumplings (Knödel).
Dumplings, or Knödel, are a common side dish in German cuisine. They are made from a mixture of bread, flour, eggs, and milk or water, which is then formed into small balls or patties and cooked by either boiling or steaming. Dumplings can be savory or sweet, and they are often served with hearty dishes like stews or roasts.
In the dish Knödel Wurst, Knackwurst sausages are wrapped in a layer of dumpling dough and then cooked. The dumpling dough provides a soft and slightly chewy exterior to the sausages, creating a unique texture and taste combination.
To prepare Knödel Wurst, the sausages are typically first parboiled or grilled to partially cook them. Then, the dumpling dough is prepared and rolled out into a thin sheet. The sausages are placed on the dough, which is then wrapped around them. The wrapped sausages are usually boiled or steamed until the dumpling dough is fully cooked.
Knödel Wurst is often served with mustard and sauerkraut, which complement the flavors of the sausage and dumpling dough. It is a hearty and comforting dish that is popular in German cuisine and enjoyed by many as a main course or as a part of a larger meal.
How to prepare Knödel Wurst (Knackwurst in Dumpling Dough)
To prepare Knödel Wurst, here’s a step-by-step guide:
– Knackwurst sausages
– Dumpling dough:
– 2 cups of stale bread, cut into small cubes
– 1 cup of all-purpose flour
– 2 eggs
– 1/4 cup of milk
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Mustard and sauerkraut for serving
- Parboil or grill the Knackwurst sausages: Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the sausages. Boil them for about 5 minutes or follow the package instructions. Alternatively, you can grill the sausages until they are partially cooked. This step ensures that the sausages are fully cooked when the dumpling dough is ready.
- Prepare the dumpling dough: In a large bowl, combine the stale bread cubes, flour, eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are fully combined. The dough should be moist but still hold its shape. If it’s too dry, you can add a little more milk.
- Roll out the dumpling dough: On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dumpling dough into a thin sheet. The thickness should be enough to fully wrap the sausages.
- Wrap the sausages: Place each Knackwurst sausage on the rolled-out dough. Carefully wrap the dough around the sausage, making sure it’s fully covered. Press the edges of the dough together to seal it.
- Cook the Knödel Wurst: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Gently place the wrapped sausages into the boiling water. Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until the dumpling dough is fully cooked. The dumplings will float to the surface when they are done.
- Serve: Remove the Knödel Wurst from the pot using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a serving platter. Serve the Knödel Wurst hot, accompanied by mustard and sauerkraut.
Enjoy your homemade Knödel Wurst!