Ever considered cold laser therapy devices? Do you want to find the decision on skin problems that don’t seem to go away no matter what you do? If so, check out this article, where we explore cold laser therapy for skin.
Do you suffer from skin conditions that haven’t responded to medication or other treatments? If so, you may want to consider cold laser therapy. This treatment is an effective way to heal a wide variety of skin conditions, including psoriasis, eczema, and acne.
Cold laser therapy is an excellent opportunity to cure skin in the comfort of your home. You just need to purchase a convenient device. In this case, Heliotherapy Insitute has an objective review of several home devices. After reading it, you will find one the most suitable for you.
This article will discuss the science behind cold laser therapy and how it can help improve your skin health!
Also Read: lifestyle changes for glowing skin
What is behind cold laser therapy?
Science shows us that our bodies have an innate ability to heal themselves. However, sometimes the body needs a little help to heal correctly. It is where cold laser therapy comes in. This new technology works on the science of photobiomodulation. In simple terms, this means that specific wavelengths of light positively affect cells, stimulating them to function better.
Cold laser therapy is low-level light therapy that uses specific wavelengths of light to interact with tissue and promote healing. The body cells absorb this energy and convert it into cellular power, stimulating the healing process.
People use cold laser therapy to treat various conditions, both chronic and acute. It can be effective in treating pain, inflammation, and wounds.
How do cold laser therapy devices work?
A cold laser device emits LED lights at specific wavelengths. CLT works by delivering low-level lasers (or “cold” lasers) to the surface of the skin. These lasers do not generate heat, so they are safe for use on the skin.
This process increases cell metabolism, accelerates wound healing, and reduces inflammation. Once inside the cells, the light energy is converted into cellular energy that stimulates the mitochondria. It, in turn, leads to an increase in collagen and elastin production, as well as a decrease in inflammation.
Besides, there are two main types of cold lasers: low-level and super-pulsed.
- Low-level lasers are used most often for pain relief and wound healing.
- Super-pulsed lasers are more powerful, and patients can use them for more severe conditions such as cancer.
You can get this treatment in a spa clinic or a doctor’s office. It is also possible to do it without leaving home.
Related: Science of skin – the largest organ
In what cases cold laser therapy devices are effective?
Cold laser therapy devices are most commonly used to treat pain and inflammation. You can use them to treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Diverse chronic pain ( e.g., arthritis, tendinitis, bursitis);
- Neuropathy (e.g., carpal tunnel syndrome);
- Wounds healing;
- Scar tissue (e.g., scars, stretch marks);
- Skin conditions (eczema, psoriasis, acne, aging spots);
- Sports injuries (e.g., muscle tension, muscle sprain, shoulder, and joint injuries);
- Back and neck pain;
- Headaches of different etiology;
- Different musculoskeletal injuries.
It is a short list of issues with which cold laser therapy can cope. If you have some of these, you can try this therapy to ensure its effectiveness.
Influence of cold laser therapy on skin
Cold laser therapy is a popular treatment for skin conditions, but how does it work? The use of cold laser therapy (CLT) on the skin is a relatively new field of medicine.
Scientists initially created CLT devices for use in other areas of the body, such as treating pain or speeding up the healing of injuries. However, dermatologists and other medical professionals soon realized that CLT could also be used to treat various skin conditions.
The theory behind cold laser therapy is that it helps promote healing by increasing blood flow and reducing inflammation. The absorption of light energy causes a biological reaction within the cells that produce new collagen and elastin, two proteins essential for healthy skin.
It may be effective in the treatment of the following types of skin problems:
- Improve the skin of the scars and stretch marks. It is effective both for new and old signs.
- It decreases inflammation, which is beneficial for treating psoriasis, eczema, or rosacea.
- It can cure acne by killing bacteria and reducing the frequency of rashes and inflammation.
- CLT is effective in the control of signs of aging. It reduces the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and sun blemishes.
- It can tighten loose skin, improve skin tone and texture, and reduce pore size.
- It can prevent hair loss due to improving scalp condition and stimulating hair growth.
The results of CLT vary depending on the condition which you want to treat, but most patients see a noticeable improvement in their skin after just a few treatments.
If you are thinking about using cold laser therapy for your skin, you should consult a board-certified dermatologist or another qualified medical professional to evaluate whether it is right for you.
Advantages of cold laser therapy
Cold laser therapy proves its effectiveness in the treatment of many health problems. CLT’s effects are possible due to the photochemical reaction of light interacting with cells and tissue. This can help to decrease inflammation, reduce pain, and promote healing. So people started to use it because it offers many advantages.
Below, we gathered the list of the most significant benefits you can receive if you try CLT devices.
Non-invasive and painless treatment
Cold laser therapy devices are popular because their use is nonsurgical and painless. The treatment doesn’t involve any injections or cuts. You don’t need any anesthesia as the procedure is totally painless.
It uses low-length waves and doesn’t heat the skin, so you won’t get any irritation or burns. The procedure is comfortable and pleasant, so you will only enjoy it and can relax during the session.
Easy to maintain and use
Cold laser therapy devices are popular among customers because they are easy to handle and maintain. You don’t need any special preparations or installations. Just purchase the machine and follow the instructions. Usually, these CLT devices operate from the electrical network. All you need to do is the following:
- Plug it into a power outlet;
- Choose the appropriate operating mode;
- Apply the light on the skin;
- Wait the necessary time (usually 15 minutes).
Besides, the treatment’s time and effectiveness depend on the machine’s power. Also, it will vary according to your request for treatment. If you have skin problems or a small wound, you can use the device with lower power. If you have a sports injury or chronic joint problems, choose one more powerful.
Effective in pain reduction
Cold laser therapy is a painless, drug-free way to reduce acute and chronic pain. The therapy uses specific wavelengths of light to penetrate deeply into the tissue and promote healing.
You will see positive results in treating chronic pain, such as back pain and neck pain, as well as acute pain associated with carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis.
In addition to reducing pain, cold laser therapy also helps reduce inflammation. It is a natural body response to injury or disease characterized by redness, swelling, and heat.
While inflammation is a necessary part of the healing process, it can also be problematic if it becomes chronic. It links to several severe health conditions, such as heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s. Cold laser therapy can be effective in reducing both acute and chronic inflammation.
Speeds up healing
Another benefit of cold laser therapy is that it can speed up healing. The therapy likely helps to reduce inflammation and increase blood flow to the area, which provides the necessary nutrients and oxygen for tissue repair. You can use it to accelerate the healing of wounds and injuries because of surgery, diabetes, or other chronic diseases.
Short sessions duration
People choose cold light therapy because It is a very convenient and natural way to treat your body. One positive factor that attracts people to use these devices is the short session duration. It is very convenient for those who are in a rush.
Most cold laser therapy treatments last between 5 and 15 minutes. It is almost the shortest time you can spend treating your body, reducing chronic pain, and improving your skin.
But you should know that you may need several sessions to cure your condition. It depends on the problem’s severity and the device’s technical characteristics.
Available as a home treatment
Cold laser therapy is different from other types of laser therapy because it uses low-level lasers. It means that the laser generates no heat, so it is safe for use on the face and body. That’s why it is appropriate for use at home. You don’t need to go somewhere in the spa or clinic to have the CLT session. It is convenient for those who are busy.
Cold laser therapy is safe
You can use cold laser therapy to relieve pain and treat wounds. Most people see a noticeable improvement in the appearance of their skin after just a few treatments. However, results vary from person to person.
In the United States, cold laser therapy is a type of low-power laser. The last ones emit up to 500 watts of power. These lasers are FDA approved for use in the United States. If you have no contraindications, you can use them for your treatment.
Cold laser therapy is a relatively new treatment modality, but it is safe and effective in some studies. However, more research is needed to determine its full potential, and the tests are ongoing.
If you are considering cold laser therapy, be sure to consult with a qualified healthcare provider to see if it is right for you.
No one likes taking time off from their busy lives to recover from a cosmetic procedure. One more advantage of cold laser therapy is that there is no downtime. This means that you can continue your usual activities immediately after the session. You won’t feel any disabilities after the CLT session.
Another great benefit of cold laser therapy is that it is a very comfortable treatment. Most patients report only feeling mild warmth during the procedure.
Disadvantages and side effects of cold laser therapy devices
As with any other medical treatment, there are some potential disadvantages and side effects associated with cold laser therapy. These include:
- Skin irritation: Some people may experience temporary skin irritation at the site of the laser treatment. It is usually mild and goes away within a few hours.
- Eye damage: If the laser beam comes into contact with your eyes, it could cause permanent damage. That’s why it’s essential to wear protective eyewear during treatment.
- Cancer: There is no evidence that cold laser therapy increases cancer risk. However, as with any type of radiation exposure, there is a small theoretical risk that it could do so.
- Also, you can feel swelling, redness, itching, blistering, or scabbing if you misuse the cold laser device. But these symptoms rarely occur and last for several days.
Also, if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, have thyroid disease, or implanted electronics, it is better not to use cold laser therapy devices.
However, as we mentioned before, cold laser therapy devices are safe.
The main drawback is that you will need several sessions to see visible results. It depends on the severity of your condition and the features of the body’s perception. Since it takes some time to see results, it can be quite expensive for clients, especially if they do this procedure in a clinic.
If you have any concerns about cold laser therapy’s risks or side effects, discuss them with your doctor before starting treatment.
How to choose a cold laser therapy device
If you’re considering cold laser therapy, finding a reputable provider who uses FDA-cleared or -approved devices is important. It is essential to choose a high-quality device from a wide range of models on the market today. Here are several tips on how to do this:
- Consult with a specialist if such kind of treatment suits you;
- Research the range of models available;
- Choose a reputable brand with appropriate certification about safety;
- It’s also essential to ensure the provider has experience treating the condition you hope to improve.
- Consider your budget. Almost all handle devices are relatively affordable. The price starts from $70 and up.
When choosing a device, be sure to ask about its wavelength, power output, and whether it has been cleared or approved by the FDA for use on humans.
With these things in mind, you can choose the best cold laser therapy device.
Tips on how to make the cold laser therapy session most effective
If you purchase a cold laser therapy device, it’s essential to use it properly to get the most out of your treatment. The cold laser therapy session looks like this:
- You will lie on a bed or table and take the most comfortable position.
- You should position the part of the body that needs treatment so that the laser covers the maximum area of the skin.
- Then you should place the device over the area that needs treatment.
- During treatment, you may experience a slight sensation of tingling, but it is usually well tolerated.
There is no downtime after treatment, and you can resume your normal activities immediately. Besides, we have some helpful pieces of advice on how to use cold laser devices for better effect:
- Make sure the area you are treating is clean and free of any makeup, lotions, or oils.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using the device.
- Start with shorter sessions and gradually increase the time as your skin gets used to the treatment.
- Apply a cool, damp cloth to the treated area after your session to help soothe the skin.
- Moisturize the skin with cream or lotion to avoid redness and irritation.
Cold laser therapy may be the answer if you’re looking for a way to heal your skin quickly. This treatment uses low-level lasers to stimulate healing, and you can use them to treat many conditions, from chronic to acute.
Although more research is needed to define the long-term effectiveness of this treatment, there is promising evidence that cold laser therapy can provide significant benefits.
But it is obvious that CLT is an effective and natural way to cure your body, improve your skin condition and become more healthy. If you’re considering this treatment, be sure to consult with a qualified healthcare provider to ensure that it’s right for you.